The Mint Julep is widely known as the signature cocktail of the Kentucky Derby, dating back to the 1930s. Its historical roots are said to go back to the eighteenth century, where it was originated in the southern United States.
We believe the Mint Julep is worthy of enjoying more than just one time a year—especially in the rolling hills of Litchfield, Connecticut where mint is easily grown. Muddling mint leaves with sugar unleashes the delightful essential oils that offer such wonderful aromas and flavors, which complete our Batchers’ Straight Bourbon quite nicely.
Best of all, the Mint Julep is quite easy to make, requiring only a few, easily found ingredients. So, don’t forget to enjoy this classic cocktail all year round!
- 10 mint leaves, plus a sprig for garnish
- 2.0 oz. Litchfield Distillery Batchers’ Straight Bourbon
- .75 oz simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water)
- Crushed ice
Directions: Middle simple and mint leaves, add bourbon, fill with crushed ice and garnish with bouquet of mint.
- Muddle mint leaves in the bottom of a julep or highball glass with simple syrup until mint leaves break down.
- Add Batchers’ Straight Bourbon and fill glass with crushed ice. Stir.
- Garnish with sprig of mint. Serve immediately.
If you want a tutorial, just watch this video featuring our Brand Ambassador, Dimitrios Zahariadis who recently appeared on WFSB’s Better Connecticut!